Thoughts About the Witch's Starter Kit by Pinrose & Sephora

So, there is this "Witch kit"....

Ok

ok

ok.

I decided to look up Pinrose itself, and I realised, they have a whole bunch of other kits, here are a few:

1) THE STARTER KIT
2) ROLLERBALL STYLE KIT

That's when it dawned on me, I think they really didn't think this through.

Definition of Kit:

A "Kit" can be defined as:

1) 1.
a set of articles or equipment needed for a specific purpose.

"a first-aid kit"

synonyms:equipment, tools, implements, instruments, gadgets, utensils, appliances, tools of the trade, materials, aids, geartacklehardwareparaphernalia, appurtenances;
- Dictionary


Or as

2) a large basket, box, or other container, especially for fish.
                            - Dictionary


So if you observe the first definition, you will understand the rage that is aimed towards this "Witch Starter kit" as the kit suggests that it is providing something of use. It's providing tools that you can create things with and most of all, inherently with all kits, it is providing some sort of a guide.

However Pinrose is in no way shape or form a guide in this matter. I haven't found any evidence of credentials such as having a spiritual worker on their team, or having put out a statement that they somehow consulted someone in the field about it, so, I really don't think they have any real idea of the implications of what the kit means, to those who they are selling it to, and sadly, this is a great example of poor market research.

Therefore as an outsider, Pinrose seems to be thinking that kit is just a box to put stuff in. They are going with definition number 2 - a large box, containing some fish, or in this case, some objects that are to act like bait, to attract some fish, and I was one of them.

To them it's not that big of a deal. In my mind I feel their thought process is like this:

A) I have a box
B) I put perfume in the box
C) I decorate the box
D) I sell the box.
E) I make a box

End of story. What they decorate with, well, the latest fad of course, to make sure it sells.

I'm all about the spiritual, and in my work I use a lot of bright pastel colors as I grew up immersed in japanese culture, so drawing pink pentacles, creating witchy illustrations in pink and lilac, these are all things directly from my heart, spilling out into the world, as an expression of my craft and what I would call, my magic.

So when I saw this kit, I was like "OMG! That is SOOOO me!" and I was anticipating it's release so that I could, as the basic starter alchemist that I am, get my hands on it and start creating spells and other things to enhance my magic. I was like "Yes! PASTELS! Shimmery colors, I'm in!"

However when I saw this post by Bahatilife:




Honestly @sephora & @pinrosescents messed up BIG time with this project on SO many levels... • As a witch who had to hide her practice from the world...& half of her FAMILY for many years I am deeply offended and disappointed at the lack of respect for my belief & practice. But, Sephora & Pinrose- you're obviously not concerned with my wellbeing. I KNOW how to protect mySelf from spirit or psychic attack. Others however do not. Why? Well, bc the majority of witches have been FORCED to HIDE & PRACTICE in SILENCE for centuries, sharing their gifts exclusively to their children or friends in private & secrecy. We hide our knowledge in wrapped books & in our heads... Today's generation is more vulnerable than EVER bc they are designed to be sensitive & to develop & find their own gifts. It is written in the stars that they must deviate from the norm & find their own spiritual path... that includes discovering witchcraft. The ppl who will gravitate towards this kit have interest in energy & spellwork & will be MISGUIDED & PUT AT RISK after reading the instructions that tell them to use these SYNTHETIC fragrance perfumes to anoint objects while casting "ceremony circles"...!!! Walking blindly w/ the spirit world is not only not a game IT CAN BE SRSLY DANGEROUS. These kids are born powerful already but most have NO GUIDANCE or ROLE MODELS. Take responsibility & care for what you are doing & have done. Also, MY PRACTICE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR YOU TO WIPE YOUR SOILED HANDS ON. Have RESPECT & EDUCATE YOURSELF. #Sephora #boycottsephora #witchesofinstagram #Pinrose #witchkit #witchcraft #tarot #crystals #sage #sacred #sephorawitchkit
A post shared by • THE ASTRO & TAROT QUEEN • (@behatilife) on


And then made a whole vlog about it:



It really made me sit up and think about this really hard. Did I really want to buy in to something that is not authentic? A new magic worker like me tries their very best to do their research, seek out counsel from the wise, read as much as they can and basically do what it right for themself and the world around them. As much as I get that Pinrose is just selling a gimmick, I truly believe that they probably didn't mean as much harm as they are made out to be, however it could also just be the Piscean in me, trying to see the best side in people and companies alike.

However, if what Jessica says is true. If these synthetic materials really could damage a person's practise, then I guess it's really down to the money ( And Jessica being a skilled magic practitioner and a business woman at the same time, I really do trust and look up to her about things like this ), so I feel that I have to side with the angrier side of things and call this out as being a huge gimmicks, with no real consideration for those who actual use these tools in for their rightful purpose.

I feel that the marketing team in Pinrose that designed this kit really should have put in more research, because so many of us are doing that, and it just feels so half-assed to be sold something, and then realise that the seller didn't really think things through. I can relate to that because there are so many times I have bought occult jewelry which the gold leafing flaked, notebooks that faded after being taken out of the packaging and used for a few days and dresses that were two sizes too small for my plus size figure, despite it boosting XXXXXL or something.

Even from the perspective of "I-am-just-a-robot-consumer-I-just-want-to-buy-pretty-things", no one wants to buy a defective products, and I think that this is what is the worst thing about the kit: It has no real substance.

Breaking down the contents of the kit:

a) Didn't take into consideration that Sage is a sacred herb to Native American and and Pagan
b) Didn't take into consideration that the synthetic scents are not suitable for rituals and other practises
c) What is with that tiny crystal? As beautiful as it is, it's not really shaped in such a way that it tells you what it is for. Is it a summoning stone? Is it a crystal ball? Is it a pointed-style channeller? What do I do with it??? 
d) Is there someone who is going to guide each and every customer on how to use this tarot deck? Probably not....

So...yeah. As a "Kit", it's not a very good one.

As a "Perfume Kit", it's over doing it. You can just take out the sage and stone, and the tarot deck ( especially since I think this is the most powerful tool in the kit that really needs to come with proper guidance. At least like, a tiny manual? ) and call it like "Witch Scents for Halloween" or "Hallow's Eve Realness" or something, which would make more sense from a consumer's standpoint and would offend waaaay less people.

In a way, it's kind of cool to see magical elements seeping into the mainstream world, and magic becoming more and more accepted, however just like any practise or religion, it should be accepted artfully and with soul, because without respect, justice and love, it is difficult to create something of substance. It just becomes another costume, for another fad, and it gets forgotten as soon as the next fad comes up, like a wave upon the shore.  However for the ones' affected by it in a negative way, they never really forget, and they will be wary of anything similar that pops up in future, because no one likes to be taken for a ride, especially when it comes to something they believe in.


Comments

Popular Posts